Forex trading in Russia is widespread, and Russia fulfils a crucial role in the ongoing development of the online Forex trading industry. Since Russia does not have active Forex regulations, Russian Forex traders often trade with well-regulated offshore Forex brokers, many founded by Russians. The Forex brokers in our Forex brokers Russia review rank amongst the most established and trusted brokers currently operating internationally. They offer Forex traders the chance to trade with technology, giving a competitive edge and the best possible conditions available at the current time.
I also offer tips on how to start Forex trading in Russia; I look at the typical pros and cons of Forex trading in Russia and explain what Forex traders in Russia should look for when selecting Forex brokers.
It is important to note that few international Forex brokers accept Russian residents as clients, although some still do.
Russian Ruble crosses (EUR/RUB and USD/RUB) with 1:100 maximum leverage.
Low minimum deposit requirements & choice of payment processors.
Well-regulated multi-asset broker with ten global licenses and 25+ regional offices.
Excellent choice of trading instruments & MAM/PAMM accounts.
5.0/5 in this category
Hybrid execution model + scalping, hedging and more trading options
Alpari has established itself among the leading global Forex brokers list with 2M+ traders, low trading fees, and 4K+ PAMM accounts catering to 60K+ investors. It operates from a business-friendly regulated environment and boosts further trader protection via its membership with the Hong Kong-based Financial Commission, which includes a €20,000 per claim protection fund for client deposits. Traders get the MT4/MT5 trading platforms, upgraded with Autochartist, and news services by FX Street.
The well-balanced asset selection of 750 CFDs is ideal for most traders but only available on the MT5 platform. Alpari ranks highly on our Forex brokers in Russia list due to low trading fees and its cashback program for high-volume traders.
Autochartist, FX Street news service, and quality in-house research
PAMM accounts from a low minimum deposit requirement of $50
MT4/MT5 trading platforms, plus a proprietary mobile app
Ultra-low trading fees in the commission-based ECN accounts
4.5/5 in this category
Deep liquidity with no trading restrictions
MultiBank achieves a remarkable position on our list of top Forex brokers in Russia due to its cutting-edge trading environment, a wide range of assets available, and transparency of fees. Traders can use MT4/MT5, which fully support algorithmic and copy trading. MultiBank also deploys a proprietary copy trading service and two web-based platform alternatives, MultiBank Trader 4 and 5. The latter is an excellent option for cryptocurrency CFD traders due to 150+ crypto CFDs.
The ECN account requires a minimum deposit of $10,000. Still, it offers ultra-competitive trading fees and the choice of payment processors, including accepting cryptocurrencies. MultiBank offers a cashback program for high-volume traders, VPS hosting, and FIX API connectivity.
20,000 assets offering broad coverage of financial markets
Raw spreads from 0 pips and maximum leverage of 1:500
MAM/PAMM accounts and proprietary copy trading platform
ECN trading with deep liquidity and no requotes
wide selection of asset classes
Russia has played a crucial role in the emergence of online Forex trading. It has produced some of the best-known Forex brokers and founders/executives that have driven the market forward with innovation. The Russian Ruble is the second-oldest global currency still in circulation. Many Forex traders trade with Forex brokers created by Russian executives. Russian Forex brokers are home to 50M+ traders globally, catered to via well-regulated subsidiaries in offshore Forex centers like the ones listed in our Forex brokers Russia listing.
Forex trading is legal in Russia, but it remains unregulated. The excellent trading infrastructure makes Russia a core Forex market for most international brokers. The internet penetration is over 88%, with a median fixed internet speed of almost 75 MB/s. The median population age is just above 39 years, with over 75% living in modern urban centers.
Our Forex Brokers Russia review focused on the core aspects listed below, which every Forex trader should consider when selecting a Russian Forex broker.
All competitive Russian Forex brokers should offer the following:
- Regulation - A clean track record spanning 10+ years, ideally operating under a trustworthy regulator from a major jurisdiction like the UK or Australia.
- Low trading fees - Major currency pairs should not exceed spreads of 0.8 pips or $8.00 per mt4 standard 1.0 lot. Traders should also ensure positive swap rates are offered on qualifying assets. Trading fees can highlight which strategies a Forex broker actively supports and passively discourages; the total cost of trading is a core consideration for traders when considering a Russian Forex broker to work with.
- Trading platforms - An algorithmic trading platform like MT4, cTrader, or MT5 is necessary as 80%+ of Forex trading daily volumes are algorithmic.
- Asset diversity - Forex traders should look for 60+ currency pairs to ensure diverse sector coverage.
- Deposits/Withdrawals - Forex traders can flexibly manage portfolios and follow-on transactions by having enough choice over payment processors that the broker accepts.
Our Forex brokers in Russia review determined that Forex trading is legal in Russia but unregulated. Russian Forex brokers can operate within the country without a license. The Ministry of Finance and the Central Bank of Russia regulate the financial sector and the Russian Ruble. Still, no active Forex regulation relating to margin trading via brokers exists.
The Financial Markets Relations Regulation Center (FMRRC) is a collection of member brokers without legal power to regulate. Still, it provides general guidance on suggested rules and industry standards that should be enabled. Members must follow the set standards to maintain their licenses and membership. One feature of membership is a compensation fund similar in nature to the Hong Kong-based Financial Commission. Therefore the FMRRC has established itself as a non-governmental quasi-regulator for Russian Forex brokers.
During my Forex brokers in Russia review, I found a law limiting maximum leverage to 1:50 in 2015. Still, this maximum has not been enforced given the lack of regulation. Russian Forex brokers often exceed the 1:500 industry standard in a multi-tier system.
- The first step is seeking an in-depth trading education, often available for free via online resources.
- You should respect Forex trading as a highly skilled profession and treat live trading accordingly.
- Master trading psychology, as it separates profitable traders from up to 90% of traders that make losses.
- Learn the importance of leverage use and its relationship to risk management.
- Understand how and when to effectively use leverage, a vital trading tool at the core of Forex trading.
- The effectiveness of the trading strategy employed is equally vital to the risk management component; taking an incorrect approach in either of these areas can cause unnecessary loss of profitability in trading.
- Defining and executing a suitable trading strategy is paramount for traders who generally consider sticking to a trading approach that best suits their personality and personal strengths and weaknesses.
- Successful traders understand the significance of trading costs, as most Forex brokers claim their fees are competitive. However, only when you review the detail of the total cost of trading can you make a direct comparison.
- Proper placement of 'take profit' and 'stop loss' order levels (placing them with each order ticket represents a vital instance where traders typically should act without emotions).
The tax treatment for Forex traders resident in Russia needs to be clarified. Russia does not impose a capital gains tax, and the individual income tax is between 13% to 15%, but some exceptions apply.
Therefore, every Russian Forex trader should consult with a legal professional to seek tax advice in Russia to ensure compliance with local rules and regulations.
The pros of Forex trading in Russia are:
- 24/5 decentralized trading
- Lower capital requirements versus other assets
- 80%+ of daily volume is algorithmic
- Efficient portfolio construction without analyzing currency pairs via copy trading
- Diversification via PAMM/MAM accounts
- Passive income opportunities for affiliates
- Frictionless financial transactions
- Disrespect of Forex trading as a high-skilled profession
- Manual trading in an algo-dominated environment
- Emotion-based trading decisions
- Improper risk management
- A false sense of accomplishment from demo trading
- There must be more trading capital plus unrealistic trading expectations to avoid overtrading, frustration, and inefficient trading without a strategy.
- A fundamental misunderstanding of Forex trading, its requirements, and possibilities
- Disconnect between leverage and its relationship to risk management.
Our Forex brokers Russia review determined that the Russian Forex market ranks among the leading ones for many Forex brokers due to excellent conditions from technology infrastructure to population size, knowledge, and demand for trading. The local Forex regulations need to be stronger, with the non-government FMRRC attempting to fill the void. Therefore, many Russian Forex traders prefer to deal with well-regulated and trustworthy international Forex brokers, often founded or run by Russian expats.
Can I trade Forex in Russia?
There are no restrictions on Russian residents from trading Forex with domestic or international Forex brokers. However, only some international brokers accept Russian residents.
How do I open a brokerage account in Russia?
All Forex brokers in Russia have an online application with mandatory account verification.
Is Forex trading legal in Russia?
Yes, Forex trading is legal in Russia.
What is the best time to trade Forex in Russia?
The best time depends on the individual, but with London being the global Forex and financial capital, the London equity trading session and its overlap with New York business hours remain the most liquid period in the Forex market.